Post Number: 1565
|Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 7:36 am: |
1. Thou shalt not f**k up the groove. F**k up the notes if thou must, but not the groove.
2. Thou shalt not lust after thy guitar player's part; he keepth the fun, thou keepeth the groove.
3. Be not swayed by a drummer with crappy time, for thou art the keeper of the beat.
4. Be not led into temptation before the gig. After is cool.
5. Thou pusheth thy luck with 5 strings. Six strings is a mortal sin, for thou hast no business in the upper registers.
6. Thou shalt not thump with thy thumb, nor honk with a pick, when thine fingers are the way of truth.
7. Thou shalt not fear whole notes, for they can be the way and the light.
8. Thou shalt leave the fancy sh*t to thine bandmates, that they may wrestle with their own bad taste.
9. Thou shalt change thy strings at least once per decade, whether they need it or not.
10. Thou shalt tune thy bass before each and every gig, even if it was in tune when last thou put it away.
Yeah, a guitarist sent me that......
[moderators edit: as per Peter's request, update #6]
(Message edited by artswork99 on September 11, 2013)
Post Number: 3419
|Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 7:48 am: |
we need a 'like' button on this forum :-)
Post Number: 629
|Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 11:16 am: |
Pretty good stuff, except the part about not using a pick (ask the old time recording bass players on many hits).
Post Number: 1567
|Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 2:24 pm: |
Oops - Num. 6 should of course, read "thump with thy thumb.....
Can one of our fearless mods tighten me up here, as I am past the limit?
Post Number: 2127
|Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 1:24 am: |
Number 6...well that's me totally blasphemed!
Post Number: 167
|Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 5:45 am: |
I'm pretty sure I've violated #4 a thousand times.
Post Number: 267
|Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 7:09 am: |
Does anybody has the GUTS to question #6 to Carol Kaye?
Post Number: 3420
|Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 7:15 am: |
I questioned her once and she barred me from her website :-( basically she stated that all the bridge saddles should be pulled right back to get the best tone so I was asking her about intonation. don't think she likes being questioned.
Post Number: 5529
|Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 8:13 am: |
"I'm pretty sure I've violated #4 a thousand times."
Just don't think of it as imbibing before the gig. Rather, it is imbibing after an extended period of time AFTER the last gig!
Post Number: 879
|Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 9:05 am: |
Number 5 is crazy. One of my bass' six strings is the Low B.
Post Number: 3023
|Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 9:54 am: |
My "familiar Spirit" , the cunning Raven bird in my yard , spoke thus ; " Set no rules for the music and no rules shall be violated and thou shalt see and hear the land past the horizon. "
Post Number: 3645
|Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 11:16 pm: |
(Message edited by Jazzyvee on October 02, 2013)
Post Number: 368
|Posted on Monday, October 07, 2013 - 10:26 pm: |
Yeah, considering I got more than a few of them for free( I'm lucky that way)...my cat doesn't care but I would hope that my family would do their homework...and my bicycle collection too; my Cook Bros stuff alone is worth many thousands...Tony
Post Number: 1910
|Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 11:16 am: |
Jazzyvee, now that's funny! Thanks for the laughter. Art
Post Number: 11
|Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 1:41 pm: |
Not sure how I feel about # 2, I like to play harmony lines on occasion I think Jimmy Johnson plays quite often above the 12 fret as well