Tribute/Further effects loop help Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Alembic Club » Alembic Basses & Guitars » Archive: 2007 » Archive through July 18, 2007 » Tribute/Further effects loop help « Previous Next »

Author Message
Username: dnostrand

Post Number: 2
Registered: 6-2007
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post

Hello - new to the club. About to own a Further, and am new to the effects loop thing. I understand how Garcia did it from reading alot, but when I have my own, do I need special cables? Is it just a matter of plugging one cable into my amp, and the other into the input of the first effect?
Username: jahnahisti

Post Number: 78
Registered: 9-2005
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post

One of the jacks should be a stereo jack... This requires a cord w/ a stereo 1/4" on one end and 2 mono 1/4" on the other. One 1/4" goes to beginning of effects and the other to the end, sending the signal back into the guitar b4 it goes to the volume (in Jerry's). The other jack goes to the amp. This allows you to completely bypass the effects when you want to.
Username: eardolin

Post Number: 23
Registered: 8-2006
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post

There are a couple other ways I think this can be done-

I've been using an effects loop for a while and I've found that a long cable going from stereo on one end to mono/mono on the other end (seen a few of these online and have made a few of my own) can be quite a hassle, especially when it fails which, in my opinion, cables always do. An alternative would be to use a 1/4" TRS female to 1/4" TS male/male or female/female Y cable- I think Hosa makes one but there may be higher quality versions available. You can then run a good quality TRS cable (whatever length you like) from the effects loop jack to the Y cable and then route the ends of the Y through your effects chain.

Another option, if you're comfortable wiring things, would be to make a TRS to dual TS (send/return) splitter box (would probably fit in a Hammond B box) and incorporate it into your pedal or rack set-up.

(Message edited by eardolin on June 06, 2007)
Username: dnostrand

Post Number: 3
Registered: 6-2007
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post

Thanks - I think I will try what you suggest at the end. Hard Truckers makes a stereo/mono splitter box.
Good suggestion.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration