Post Number: 132
|Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 11:09 am: |
While restringing my 1975 Series 1 I had found that the Nut had come loose. As we all know the newer nuts on Alembic Basses not only fastened to the neck but also have the ability to adjust height and angles. In my case the nut and the wood shows no damage just that the 2 pieces separated. At the moment I just placed the nut back in place and restrung the bass. As far as I can tell there isnít any shifting going on, thinking the tension on the strings are holding the nut in place. So, the question, is this normal for older Alembics or should I be using some kind of adhesive to secure the nut better.
Sometimes when writing these questions I feel a bit silly but we have such uniquely Beautiful instruments and they should be treated with the utmost care.
Thank You for any input
Post Number: 2743
|Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 11:33 am: |
That happened on my 81 Series I standard point. I used double sided tape well trimmed ( barely visible) .That raised all of the strings about 2 mils or so which is what I wanted anyway. I think I mentioned it to Mica at the last Northern California Alembic gathering and I believe that she said that In the shop ( Alembic) that that same procedure ( nut reattachment) might be addressed with a very small amount of super glue. I hope that my recollection is correct. Perhaps Mica will chime in and advise you accordingly.
Post Number: 457
|Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 6:51 pm: |
I did the same on my 75 about 8 years ago. Superglue is the go. Still together after continuous playing.
Post Number: 556
|Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 10:32 pm: |
Superglue or get a new adjustable nut and superglue!
Post Number: 7887
|Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 4:42 pm: |
The non-adjustable nut is just held in place with a scant drop of superglue so it doesn't fall off when you change the strings.
Just feel the underside of the nut and the mounting surface to see if there is some old glue there and remove with acetone or a little sanding, then a drop of the superglue will do ya!