Post Number: 76
|Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 12:21 pm: |
I have the darndest time getting the trusrod cover off of my Rogue. I've loosened the strings and let it sit for days. I've shaken the bass string-side down. I've tried inserting the Allen wrench into the screw holes.
Is there any trick to removing it?
Post Number: 826
|Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 1:50 pm: |
Sounds like you had a bit of wood shrinkage that's trapping your truss rod cover. Hooking something in one of the holes and pulling is the thing to do, but it sounds like you've already tried. James also suggests putting a piece of tape on the cover, making sure that it's sticking well, and pulling on the tape to see if the truss rod cover will come off with it. If you manage to take it off, I recommend filing the edges of the cover to avoid a repeat of this problem.
Post Number: 313
|Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 4:15 pm: |
I'm not trying to sound wierd here. Have you thought of using a small crochet hook to lift the cover via the screw hole? I would think it would grab the underside corner better than a Allen wrench. I've used them for similar situations successfully.
Post Number: 77
|Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 5:23 am: |
I hadn't thought of trying a crochet hook. I did try making a hook out of an unfolded paper clip though. I hadn't thought of trying some super sticky tape, either. Thanks for the suggestions.
It's been this way since I bought the bass new. But the store had it for a year before I bought it so I guess its possible that the wood shrank some.
I thought all Alembic truss rod covers stuck until I got my Brown Bass.
If I ever get it off I'll file it down or ask Alembic to make a new one for me. I've scratched the thing trying to get it off.
Thanks for the help.
Post Number: 616
|Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 7:14 am: |
Try a blow dryer?
Post Number: 129
|Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 10:44 pm: |
I think you should be pretty careful here! It's most likely that the wood shrank a little and the tight tolerances are holding it in. It's also possible that the varnish wasn't completely hardened when the plate was installed (sometimes the finish is a little thick in these areas which are not buffed) or there's something sticky underneath the plate).
If it is a tight fit and you try too hard to pull it out, you run the risk of pulling the finish up around the truss rod cover area. You don't want to do that!
So, I'd actually try the opposite route of what people have suggested here. Give the truss rod cover a light tap to see if it will loosen up. Put the eraser end of a new pencil on it and give it a few very gentle taps with a small hammer. If there's something holding it on that shouldn't be, you'll break it free.
If it's still too tight to remove, then you might try tracing around the sides with an XActo knife.
I think it's probably varnish holding that plate on. If the spray was a little thick in that area, the pressure from having the plate screwed down on it would have caused some adhesion over the years. This is probably also why goatfoot's Brown Bass cover didn't stick when others did (that's an oil finish instead of polyester or polyurethane). If this is the case and you don't snap the bond first, then you could well pull a big chip of varnish up if you pull too hard. The polymerized varnish will probably hold onto itself better than it can hold onto the wood.
Post Number: 555
|Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 6:32 am: |
Kevin, I had the same problem with the truss rod cover on one of my Epics. I used a couple of small Allen wrenches and CAREFULLy removed it noticing what part of the cover was sticking. I pulled a little on one side and then on the other. When I finally got it off I sanded the edge a very little bit. Then I put it back on slightly to see if it was still sticking. It was sticking but not as badly. I repeated the process a few times until it was not sticking at all.
Hair driers can be very hot near the mouth of the unit. I would hate to see you scorch the finish.