Post Number: 117
|Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:08 am: |
After playing my 1980 Series 1 out in around different cities/states I have noticed it being slightly noisey(more so than my jazz basses). So maybe the pickups need to be replaced. Does anybody know about how much that would run these days? I already know it will be costly, I just don't know how much. Thanks guys
Post Number: 870
|Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:49 am: |
The pickups themselves are probably not the problem - unfortunately, because they would be relatively cheap to replace - but it sounds like your electronics need the dreaded upgrade, which doesn't come cheap - and AFAIK the bass has to be at the factory for the upgrade.
The Series electronics were not designed with the modern day everything-wireless environment in mind, so they older specimens were not properly shielded against those signals.
Post Number: 145
|Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:24 am: |
I'm not sure but you may only have to send the electronics back to Alembic instead of shipping the whole bass. Pulling out a screwdriver and removing the Alembic Series electronics from you bass should be a simple task. Shipping and insurance will be MUCH less because you don't need to ship your bass; only the electronics. You'll also feel much better because you won't have to worry about a shipping company playing soccer with your bass, plus you can still play it.
Double check with Alembic but I don't think you'ld need to send the whole bass. After all the bass already has shielding paint on it and there shouldn't be anything to "upgrade" where paint is concerned.
Post Number: 3707
|Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:12 pm: |
I agree that the noise is probably not the pickups. If you haven't tried already, when you are in one of the locations where the bass is noisier, go through the humcancelling adjustment procedure and see if that helps.
Post Number: 35
|Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:48 pm: |
Yeah, I doubt it is the pups.
Firstly try a ferrile (ferit bead), or what ever they are called. wrap the pickup wires through the bead a couple of times. If that does not work, then send in the electronics to Alembic. Of course be prepared to wait a while as it takes them a long time before Mr. W can get to it. I waited about 6 months for my Distillate electronics. The thing that really upset me about the wait was that 1) I was told it would be 3 weeks, not 6 months and 2) I never got an email response as to why the delay or what was happening.. I was really upset with Alembic for that, but in the end I did get the electronics back and they work as promised... Now that that episode has passed I am a little embarassed by my impatience, but it would have been nice for an email.... So there you go. Send in the electronics, get them fixed and you will be a happy camper.
Post Number: 3710
|Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:53 pm: |
I might be wrong, but I don't think the ferite bead solution applies to Series electronics. But then my memory is not very reliable.
Post Number: 118
|Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 4:25 pm: |
Just got back from soundcheck, adjusted the hum cancelling trimpots & voila! Thanks guys, saved me alot of time and money!