Kazumi Watanabe on Series I guitar Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Alembic Club » Showcase » Artists and their Alembics » Kazumi Watanabe on Series I guitar « Previous Next »

jazzyvee
Username: jazzyvee

Post Number: 3397
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2013 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post

Some great band playing on this video and Kazumi is playing a series I guitar. Marcus Miller on bass,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wXx7W0Hxh1U#t=332s

jazzyvee
davehouck
Username: davehouck

Post Number: 11038
Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 4:28 pm:   Edit Post

Nice video! And great tone (and playing) on the guitar throughout!
hieronymous
Username: hieronymous

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 2:15 pm:   Edit Post

Wow - that was awesome! I've been a long-time fan of Kazumi Watanabe - even saw him live at the Pit Inn in Tokyo when I was in high school (though unfortunately it was packed and I never got a clear view of the stage).
hieronymous

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post

Found another one from many years previous - looks like the same guitar too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2kfKLFH1fI
tncaveman
Intermediate Member
Username: tncaveman

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 7:50 pm:   Edit Post

WOW - this is why I love the Alembic forum. Now if we can only get Markus an Alembic!!

Thanks

Stephen
bigredbass
Username: bigredbass

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post

So I always heard the rub on Series guitars was that they were too clean / hard to get distortion with, these KW videos not withstanding. So I wondered, why not put an output gain boost on the power supply box for the S-electronics? Dial up or down whatever you want, or was the idea you'd go right into and f2b ?

J o e y
pace
Username: pace

Post Number: 930
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 6:53 pm:   Edit Post

I don't know what to think about that myth, Joey. I know that the low impedance does not react well with certain stomp boxes, especially germanium fuzz circuits. That said, my S1 has no problem driving a pair of small combos and they'll break up much the same as they do w/ a passive guitar (the closest parallel for me would be a P-90 SG). The high frequency content in a series guitar isn't as shrill as say the "ice-pickiness" that can plague strats and teles, but if you don't know how to dial it out, i guess that can be a turn-off too.
hieronymous

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post

Interesting article that focuses on Jeff Berlin but gives some background info on Kazumi Watanabe:

http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/article/1229210/blue-notes-jeff-berlin-and-kazumi-watanabe
mario_farufyno
Username: mario_farufyno

Post Number: 958
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post

"Berlin is a bassist of extraordinary virtuosity who moves comfortably between the worlds of jazz and rock: he was once offered - and declined - the bass guitarist's slot in the heavy metal band Van Halen. He was an early exponent of the percussive slap bass style for which Miller - who once said he wanted to be "the black Jeff Berlin" - is known"

Really? Never heard him slapping...
hieronymous

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 5:49 pm:   Edit Post

I think I remember him slapping on one of the Bill Bruford solo albums but can't say that for sure. The Marcus Miller quote though is pretty suspicious...
room037
Username: room037

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post

The song is "Five G" in the album "One of a kind" by Bruford.
This album is not solo album. "Bruford" is the band name.

Now Jeff Berlin is touring with Kazumi in Japan.

Eiji
hieronymous

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post

Thanks for the info Eiji - I knew I wasn't imagining it!

When I was in high school a couple of my friends saw Spice of Life live in Tokyo - I can't remember if I was invited or just didn't go - we loved that first album with Kazumi Watanabe, Jeff Berlin and Bill Bruford! I think I was actually somewhat influenced by Jeff Berlin - and when I listen to my own Kazumi Watanabe albums like Tochika and MOBO II I am even more amazed!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration