Insurance Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Alembic Club » Miscellaneous » Archive through February 15, 2012 » Insurance « Previous Next »

Author Message
Username: stout71

Post Number: 31
Registered: 7-2011
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post

Does anyone have suggestions for how to insure your axe, say, in the event it gets stolen when you're at a gig? I have a homeowners policy that will cover everything if my gear is at home and gets stolen or damaged from a fire, etc. But I doubt that is going to cover a loss at a bar across town. Since I have a custom in the works with a huge replacement cost, I thought I should start asking these questions now. Anyone have any experience with this?
Senior Member
Username: jazzyvee

Post Number: 2737
Registered: 6-2002
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post

I suggest you find an insuance company that has policies specifically geared towards musicians. I'm in the uk and found my insurance company via the Musicians Union. I'm sure that there is an equivalent in your country so that would be a good place to start I think.

The advise instruments are insured at replacement costs even the used ones. For my recent acquisition I asked Mica for a replacement cost price of the bass and that will be the insured value. It does cost more to do it that way because you are insuring a higher price. But if anything happens to it at least you can replace it with like for like.

The other thing to consider if you are gigging, is public liability insurance. Fortunately this comes with my current policy and here some venues, mainly local authority festival and public bodies, that require a certain value of Public Liability insurance when you perform at their functions.

Advanced Member
Username: rustyg61

Post Number: 381
Registered: 2-2011
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 4:00 pm:   Edit Post

I have a personal articles policy with State Farm that covers the full replacement cost if I had to have a duplicate built at the factory. The amount is considerably more than I paid for the bass, but being a custom instrument, they approved the policy.
Advanced Member
Username: jimmyj

Post Number: 343
Registered: 8-2008
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 4:17 pm:   Edit Post

I've got an "all risk" instrument insurance policy with a company called Marsh (I think). Replacement value (which I keep updating) and covering just about any loss. I originally got this through the musician's union but I imagine you can do it directly. And they did pay off once upon a time so I've stuck with them...
Jimmy J
Username: murray

Post Number: 82
Registered: 7-2007
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post

I am also in UK,as jazzyvee, and am in the MU. I have to say this membership is getting a bit expensive but I keep it going. The Public Liability is part of MU membership, so useful. For nearly all if not all of my playing years (45+)I have been with Victor Knight who are fine and do 'new for old'. Totally agree with jazzyvee to go for the higher premium and get replacement cover. Also check if you are covered for 'in vehicle'and exclusions and also watch out for 'unattended' instruments if you are at a gig and leave them on stage whilst you have an interval - sometimes you may not be covered but it may be a worthwhile risk to keep the premium down as long as you keep an eye on the gear. Need to balance risk against cost and read small print. At the end of the day I think some cover is better than none. My gear totals 12000+ and I pay about 250 per year. Not wise to rely on Home Insurance. Glynn.
Senior Member
Username: pace

Post Number: 823
Registered: 4-2004
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post

Heritage Musicians Insurance:

I think a couple of other members can chime in with personal experiences......
Username: stout71

Post Number: 32
Registered: 7-2011
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post


Thanks for all your suggestions. Very helpful indeed!
Senior Member
Username: cozmik_cowboy

Post Number: 1150
Registered: 10-2006
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post

Check your homeowner's policy again, closely. State Farm tells me they will cover instruments anywhere (I was asking about the ones my son took to college) - unless you ever play anywhere for any money. Then they're not covered even in your house.

Advanced Member
Username: rustyg61

Post Number: 383
Registered: 2-2011
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 7:37 pm:   Edit Post

Peter, there was wording in my personal articles policy too that stated I couldn't play for money. I had them amend that & got a signed letter from my agent stating that I did play for money & that did not void the policy so that they can't deny my claim. I never let my bass out of my sight when I'm gigging, so the likelyhood of it getting stolen at a show is none. The band loves it when I bring it into the restaurant when we eat before the show!
Senior Member
Username: lbpesq

Post Number: 5061
Registered: 7-2004
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2012 - 8:16 am:   Edit Post

Another big thumb's up for Heritage. Very nice people and very accommodating. Last year I flew cross country with my '53 Martin D-28. I have a Calton case for it, so I wasn't too worried about damage, but am always worried about the airlines flat out losing something. Heritage was willing to insure it for the plane ride for $50 each way. A little expensive, but worth it, IMHO, for my Martin. Of course, if they let me carry it on, I really didn't need to insure it for the trip. But I couldn't know if they would let me carry it on until I actually boarded the plane. I prearranged with Heritage to send them an email from the plane letting them know at literally the last minute whether or not I needed to insure it. As it turned out, I had to insure it one way and was allowed to carry it on the other way.

Bill, tgo

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration