Building a strat Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Alembic Club » Miscellaneous » Archive: 2006 » Archive through August 16, 2006 » Building a strat « Previous Next »

Username: blazer

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post

I am the proud owner of a late eighties Squier Stratocaster which I bought new on my fifteenth birthday back in 1991, this old girl, lovingly called "the Veteran" has been through a LOT of modifications but now I'm restoring her to strathood.

But as to take three dimensional photograph I'm building a closely matching replica of how the "Veteran" used to look with the mods and all. I'm thinking of naming that one "The rookie"
The "Veteran" before the restoration, the "Rookie" wil look just like this.
Here's the raw maple with the strat routing template.
After sawing off the exess wood, ready for routing.
After routing, a nice clean maple strat body to be.
Routing out the neck pocket, I put in the neck to check if I haven't routed it too dep, luckely, I got it right.
And so I started working on the vibrato channel.

And while doing so I completely forgot that I had a camera with me and failed to document the routing of the pickup and control routs, and of me bevelling the body. I only remembered my camera when I put the thing together to see how it looked.
The "Rookie" at home. The neck, Kahler Vibrato, pickups and pickguard all come from "the Veteran" as you can see I am FAR from finished, I need to drill the holes for the bushes of the vibrato and spray the body in sealer before I can add the first layers of red.
The Veteran and the Rookie together, I still need to find a good bridge pickup for the "Veteran" as you can see I put the Kahler back in because I love the smooth feeling of that bridge so much. Luckely I have a second one. Compare the "Rookie" to the picture of the "Veteran" at the beginning of this post.

It'll be a long time before I can play the "Rookie" but bot I'm having a ball just making it.
Username: lbpesq

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 8:07 am:   Edit Post

Very cool and impressive. I'm looking forward to the completed pictures and a full review. It this the first guitar that you've built?

Bill, tgo.
Username: gtrguy

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit Post

I picked up a garage sale Strat clone with a full set of Fender noiseless pickups for $20 this summer. Turns out that with those pickups, it sounds better than my vintage Strat! They turn up on Ebay all the time. Dave

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 8:28 am:   Edit Post

I did the last sanding job and put the body in primer. Now I need to start wet sanding (after the primer has dried of course) and then I can start applying the layers of color.

Boy I'm having fun with this.

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit Post

Okay you guys, I finished Building the "Rookie" compare it with the Picture of the Veteran in the beginning of this thread.

As you guys can see, I went with a different neck. I could get this gorgeous Birdseye maple neck for a bargain price and I went for it. Apart from the headstock shape I suceeded in making a matching copy of the "Veteran" They look so similar that I have to catch myself sometimes. The swimmingpool rout of the Rookie gives it a very airy open sound, I figured that the all maple construction would result is a very bright sound but that's not the case, it has a very tight low end and it nails that David Gilmour tone when overdriven. All in all this project was a success.
Advanced Member
Username: dannobasso

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post

Congrats! It should give you a lot of satisfaction. Love the tele style neck. This weekend i'm embarking on milling out a jap strat for a Fernandes Sustainer kit. I'm also putting on Sperzels. I'm not ambitious enough to work on finishes. Also have to figure out how to make a second single coil work with the kit.
" Can you hear the sustain?...... Well if it was plugged in....."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration