Instrument Insurance Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Alembic Club » Miscellaneous » Archive: 2007 » Archive through April 21, 2007 » Instrument Insurance « Previous Next »

Author Message
Username: guitarbeau

Post Number: 64
Registered: 12-2005
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit Post

Hi everyone,

I was wondering who has had experience with instrument insurance. It is my understanding that Homeowners Insurance will not cover an instrument if its owner derives income from his or her playing.

Are there any policies that any of you have had experience with? Any suggestions would be great.
Senior Member
Username: lbpesq

Post Number: 2287
Registered: 7-2004
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post

There have been several threads on this subject, a search should bring them up. The company that seems to come up again and again is Heritage. I've spoken to them on the phone - very friendly and helpful.
Here's a link.

BIll, tgo
Username: guitarbeau

Post Number: 65
Registered: 12-2005
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post

Thanks Bill.
Advanced Member
Username: s_wood

Post Number: 240
Registered: 5-2002
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit Post

I am a very satisfied Heritage customer, and I recommend them highly. Their musical instrument insurance basically covers everything: all manner of loss, damage and depreciation due to repairs, etc.
Call them!
Advanced Member
Username: georgie_boy

Post Number: 208
Registered: 8-2005
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post

Does heritage deal with people in the UK??
Senior Member
Username: jacko

Post Number: 1133
Registered: 10-2002
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post

I've insured my kit with Musicguard. I've covered around £8500 for an annual premium of £230 (paid monthly). That's all my gigging instruments and rig covered for every eventuality including theft from the car. It sounds alot but they'll (supposedly) replace like for like. Gives me peace of mind, especially when we play late gigs we have to set up early for then go looking for food.

Username: 0vid

Post Number: 74
Registered: 4-2003
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit Post

I was insured witih musicguard in the early 90s. 2 days before I moved from one town to another, my flat was burgled.... it would have been someone who knew what I had... or someone who came over to look at stuff I was selling...These days if I sell something, it's all the punter ever gets to see, or I meet them in a pub. I had my gear insured up to £5K in those days. It took a good 6 months for the paper work etc. and after their assessment of 'depreciation' .....I got something like £3.3K.

I play a lot of places, and probably like Graeme, sometimes will set up at 3 pm for a couple of sets starting at 9 pm. I take the actual instruments away and set them up before the set. Cumbersome, but I have experienced loss of custom made instruments.

(Message edited by 0vid on April 08, 2007)
Senior Member
Username: olieoliver

Post Number: 1234
Registered: 2-2006
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post

If you don't play professionally you can take a rider on most home owners insurance. Iím with State Farm and I have all mine covered with them. The policy covers them as long as I am not playing for hire (money). I made sure they put in writing on the policy though that they are covered playing at church or charity functions.
Intermediate Member
Username: grateful

Post Number: 191
Registered: 12-2004
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit Post


I insured my Further with E&L: around £100 and it is covered throughout Europe. It includes public liability too. Fortunately, I don't know what they're like when you make a claim! (And I hope I'll never find out.)

Senior Member
Username: keith_h

Post Number: 736
Registered: 2-2005
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 4:26 am:   Edit Post

Mine are covered under my base homeowners policy which I carry a full replacement value rider on. I play so infrequently for pay that my company considers me a hobbyist and will cover performance losses.

This varies so much from policy to policy you need to check with your company or agent.


Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration