Building an Alembic style guitar Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Alembic Club » Miscellaneous » Archive: 2007 » Archive through September 20, 2007 » Building an Alembic style guitar « Previous Next »

Intermediate Member
Username: blazer

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit Post

Last week I got myself a couple of Bodyhalves from a former luthier and I'm now making them into guitar and bass bodies. In one of them I declared my love for Alembic.
This is my selfbuilt double neck, made using those bodyhalves I just mentioned. I love the style of that double neck so I decided to stick with it.
The rough bodies in a row, at the time I took this picture I had just glued them together.
From left to right:
Body 1. maple sides with a meranti mid section, destined to get the full BC Rich treatment with ten strings, dimarzio pickups and varitone.
Body 2. All maple, the ugly duckling from the bunch, so far I haven't got any ideas on what I'll do with this one.
Body 3. Same as body 1, this one will get strat pickups and a whammy bar.
Body 4. Padouc sides with a maple midsection. Definately the best of the bunch

This thread will be about that last body in the line up. Here what it looked like when I just glued it together. I sawed out the point very roughly.

Today I did a lot of work on that body, I planed the whole thing, carved the point more neatly and sanded the whole thing smooth, now it's ready for the neck pocket routing and the pickup cavities.

My Initial plan was to make it a bass but the mid section is too short, so I'll turn it into a guitar instead.
Intermediate Member
Username: chuck

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post

Very nice work.Please make it a Bass.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration