Jazzyvee Gigs 2014 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Alembic Club » Community » Gigs » Jazzyvee Gigs 2014 « Previous Next »

jazzyvee
Username: jazzyvee

Post Number: 3833
Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 3:23 am:   Edit Post

I have my first gig of the year coming up on Saturday at the Jazz Cafe in London.
Here is a photo from a full stage rehearsal we had on Thursday evening. I tried out my Series II to decide if it was going to be the bass for the gig.

I'm still undecided.

Jazzyvee
rustyg61
Username: rustyg61

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 8:33 am:   Edit Post

You are right about that bass Jazzyvee, it does stand out in a crowd!
charles_holmes
Advanced Member
Username: charles_holmes

Post Number: 304
Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post

I'll decide for you...Yes, that's the bass for the gig.
jazzyvee

Post Number: 3837
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post

Hey guys it was a great gig last night to a great audience.
Here are a couple of Youtube clips posted already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvWzBbyiVe8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkT2s8GMYmA
Series II bass was seriously putting out some superb bass and rocking the place with authority last night even I was happy with my sound. :-)

Yep Charles you were right. Last year I had so many rubbish bass rigs it was good to get one that I could get a good sound out of.
Also the first reggae gig I've added some of the SF-2 into the mix. Not because I needed to but:
a) I was able to without damaging the cab.
b) I was showing the keyboard player, who is also a bass player what it does and he insisted I use it.
c) the sound engineer looked and smiled when i added it to the mix.
Job Done.
Here are the settings I used.

Note the QSC Channel 2 is on full. I think I read here somewhere that this the best way to run the power amp as it's not louder at that setting, just more sensitive. It was still extremely quiet noise wise at that setting. :-) and I've found that the sound is more meat even at lower volumes of the bass.
Jazzyvee
rustyg61

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 3:19 pm:   Edit Post

Your low end settings on your SF-2 are identical to mine! Your Series II sounded great on the videos too!
jazzyvee

Post Number: 3871
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 3:01 pm:   Edit Post

http://soundcloud.com/phoebe-yu-2/musical-youth-jazz-cafe
Here is an audio recording of the full gig. I think it was recorded on a video camera by the lady who interviewed the two original band members. I'm not sure how good the sound quality is as I've listened to only a few bits on my iPad.
Enjoy. I hope
Jazzyvee
musashi
Advanced Member
Username: musashi

Post Number: 203
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 3:39 pm:   Edit Post

Series II. There is no substitute.

"Throbbing Gristle" comes to mind in trying to describe the sound. [To coin a phrase (right?)]

To be clear, I am Not referring to the band.
jazzyvee

Post Number: 3874
Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 1:31 am:   Edit Post

Just in the van on the way back from my gig last night in with Musical Youth at the watering hole in perranporth, Cornwall. We played another excellent set. The venue was jam packed ,it had a low ceiling lots of wood in the construction so the sound was mellow and solid just right for reggae.
My maple Europa 5 came into its own last night I know I've said this many times but it's an absolutely awesome bass for reggae!!!!
Jazzyvee
jazzyvee

Post Number: 3913
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post

I'm gigging again with Musical Youth at a Star (Standing Together Against Racism) festival in Preston at the Guild Hall this weekend Sunday 23rd March.

http://www.preston.gov.uk/events/details/2858/
https://www.facebook.com/prestonguildhall

Jazzyvee
jazzyvee

Post Number: 3921
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 5:46 pm:   Edit Post

A couple of pics from tonights gig. Quailty is not that great as there were these chemical fog machines blasting their stuff all over the place.

As you can see behind me in the bottom picture, the back line provided me with my least favourite bass cab.... ASHDOWN!!!! grrrrrr.
I took my boogie walkabout head as we were travelling light today and was greeted with that cab. During soundcheck I did open up the filters to hear how well the cab worked with the higher frequencies and it just sounded.....well...... unpleasant.

Initially I had the master on my head set about the 10 o'clock position and the input gain set at 9 o'clock and even with the volume on my bass set just below half way the cab was complaining about the bottom end so I had to turn the gain down low and get more bass signal sent to the monitors.

How can anyone use these cabs is it just me, have I been just very unlucky, or are they really that dreadful.

Jazzyvee
rustyg61

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post

Sorry you got stuck with your least favorite cabinets. Can you specify in your contract to not use Ashdown cabinets?
jazzyvee

Post Number: 3922
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 7:03 pm:   Edit Post

Yeah that is on the stage plan that we send to the venues, but many of the venues we play at have ashdown heads and cabs or combos. I think they must be relatively cheap. Ideally I'd prefer to take my own gear all the time but that isn't always a practical option.

Maybe this is the year to take a leaf out of JJ's book and go DI for all gigs and use a stage monitor to hear myself.

Jazzyvee
rustyg61

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post

Have you thought about getting a small combo amp you can carry yourself to all your gigs? I use a Fender Rumble 350 that is 350 watts into 2X10's. It sounds great & can easily fit into the trunk or back seat of most cars. I have even used mine at outdoor gigs & it was plenty loud. I tilt mine back on a stand like a floor monitor & face it backwards away from the front so the soundman has more control. Even tilted back it has great bottom end & handles my 5 string very well. I made a platform to sit my rack on with blocks on top to keep the rack from sliding off when it is tilted back. So I use my SF-2 with the combo & it sounds great!

http://www.fender.com/series/rumble/rumble-350-350-watt-bass-combo-2x10-speakers-and-horn-120v/

Guitar Center has them for $350 now.
jazzyvee

Post Number: 3943
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 7:02 am:   Edit Post

Next gig this weekend.
https://www.facebook.com/events/495969543849097/?ref_dashboard_filter=calendar

Jazzyvee

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration